Being healthy isn’t just about being active and getting enough exercise, it is also imperative that you have a good diet. Now this doesn’t mean that you can NEVER eat all of the delicious unhealthy things that you love like ice cream, chocolate, and pizza, but those things should be the exception, not the rule.
Here are some tips on how to improve your dietary habits:
- Drink more water. Start you day with lemon water –the benefits are innumerable. If you want more flavor try making infused water with fresh fruit and veggies! Here are some detoxifying infused water ideas.
- Drink tea. Green tea is full of antioxidants. Black tea can wake you up in the morning. Herbal teas can help cure a stomach ache, insomnia, and many more common maladies!
- Eat enough fiber. Fiber is very important for general nutrition and keeping everything flowing smoothly in the digestive tract. Here are some high fiber foods.
- Replace unhealthy fats with healthy fats. Use olive or coconut oil instead of canola. Use mozzarella instead of cheddar. Snack on nuts. Eat lots of avocado!
- Eat lots of fruits and veggies! Ideally at every meal your plate should be half vegetable matter, a quarter healthy grain or starch, and a quarter protein! Or start your day with a green smoothie to get a super dose of fruit and leafy greens! Here are some green smoothie recipes!
- Grow your own veggies. Granted this may seem impossible when you live in town in an apartment, but you can always grow salad greens in a pot or a window box or join a CSA or farm share. Check out these innovative ideas for urban gardening!
- Add flavor with spices, not fat. Instead of adding more butter or cheese to makes something taste better, play around with the spice rack to add flavor without all the calories! Instead of cheesy rice, make yellow rice with turmeric or curry! Try to incorporate these super spices!
- Plan to cheat occasionally. If you don’t make allowances for the occasional all-consuming craving, you will set yourself up for failure. Just don’t be derailed by it – if you go out for drinks and end up eating a greasy bacon cheeseburger and fries, have a big salad for dinner then next day!
- Substitute healthier options when you do go for a treat. Substitute dark chocolate for milk. Make your own pizza with fresh veggies instead of going to Pizza Hut (it will probably taste better too!). Try a fruit sorbet instead of the rich ice cream when you want something frozen!
- Eat real food! Do your own cooking with quality fresh ingredients. Avoid processed and premade foods, and don’t keep unhealthy snacks around. Try to get as many colors as you can in every dish! You may be surprised at how much better you will feel when you eat well!