Thanksgiving can be a wonderful day of feasting with your loved ones, but the fact that you are surrounded by delicious food does not mean that you have to abandon all of your health and fitness goals. Here are 5 tips from TAO on how to have a healthier holiday!
1. Eat Breakfast – while it may seem like a great idea to save all of your calories for Thanksgiving dinner, if you eat breakfast that morning you will be less tempted to gorge during dinner and you will feel full faster.
2. Keep your portion size controlled – the less you indulge in the high calorie/high carb dishes, the wider variety you can sample. Use a smaller plate. Don’t go back for seconds (remember that there is still dessert!)
3. Try an exciting new vegetable dish – try to incorporate as many colors as you can using seasonal vegetables and fruits. Make the healthy stuff look even better than the traditional favorites!
4. Socialize with those people that you rarely see – instead of camping out around the appetizers or doing your best couch potato impression in front of the TV, walk around and talk to people that you don’t see very often.
5. Plan on an after dinner walk – take that rambunctious dog (or child) for a stroll to glory in the last vestiges of fall – chances are some people will want to join you.