Happy Summer Solstice everyone! Now that it is officially summer, it can be hard to find the motivation to be active and eat right when it is sweltering outside. Here are some ideas from Activ5 on how to stay healthy and cool during the summer months.
1. Get up early and work out. We realize that this may be good advice year round, but when the temperatures get up there, it is imperative to start early in the day. Go for an early morning run or do some yoga in the morning sun! As an added bonus, morning exercise can leave you feeling energized all day!
2. Move your workout to the water! If you are lucky enough to have access to a pool, river, or lake, don’t just jump in to cool off – hang out for a while and try one of these water fitness ideas! Exercising in water is a great low impact way to work your whole body and it can be super fun too!
3. Try some no-cook recipes. Is it just too hot to turn on the stove? Don’t go for take out that is low in nutrients and high in artificial ingredients and sugars, try some healthy no-cook dinners instead! If you do need to use some heat, use the grill. It is a great time of year for fresh garden fruits and veggies, but if you don’t have access to one yourself, try your local CSA or Farmers Market. You may be surprised at how inspired you are when you have fresh ingredients to cook with!
4. Smoothies, juice and water, oh my! It is vitally important to stay hydrated when it is hot out (and the rest of the time too)! While it may be tempting to grab an iced coffee or a cold beer, remember that those will actually dehydrate you. Try fruit infused water instead! Or some fresh juice is another great option, but make sure that you pick one that is not loaded with sugar. A nice cool smoothie can be a great refreshing breakfast when you are in a hurry and it is much better for you than sugary cereal! Try making individual smoothie baggies with fresh fruit and greens for the whole week and freezing them!
5. Be active in your free time! Don’t stay cooped up inside all weekend, get outside and make use of the nice weather! It will be cooler if you get out of the city or go to a park away from the asphalt. Play lawn games or sports with friends. Go hiking – find a waterfall or lake as you destination and as an added bonus you get to cool off when you get there! After work, don’t just camp out in front of the TV, take advantage of the pleasant evenings and go take a stroll with friends or loved ones!